Following on from my blog post about defining Online Community and Social Media job descriptions, here is a generic Social Media Director job description template.
These job description templates are written with the assumption of a hierarchy of Manager, Head of Department, Director. If the role manages a team or includes strategic or budgetary control, responsibilities can be taken from each level job description to create a hybrid. I am also keen to split up Community Management and Social Media Management, which in my mind are two different types of roles. I have deliberately left out years of experience from the “Requirements” section as this is down to personal preference.
Social Media Director
The Social Media Director is responsible for overseeing the Company’s Social Media Strategy and Social Media team across all internal brands and platforms . This role coordinates with the internal PR, Editorial, Marketing, Legal and Production Directors and Board Members to support the Company’s mission. The position involves ensuring our social boradcasting is fully integrated with all other efforts across the Company’s portfolio, as well as managing the Central Social Media budget.
- Create the social media strategy, coordinating with stakeholders across the Company to ensure its effectiveness and ensure the adoption of relevant social media techniques into the corporate culture and into all of the company’s products and services
- Own the roadmap budget for the social media tools in use on the Company’s sites, directing social media tool integration
- Recruit and oversee the Social Media Team, ensuring a superior quality of communication and project delivery is provided at all times
- Coordinate the planning of social media campaigns, ensuring customer acquisition and supporting monetization across the company’s portfolio
- Source and manage relationships with social monitoring and platform partners to support and develop commercial opportunities
- Act as the advocate of social media integration within the Company, influencing overall site and business strategies
- Provide benchmarks and analyse data provided by the Social Media Team, to inform company-wide decision-making and commercial campaign targets are met
- Monitor and comment on trends in social media trends and application, acting as company spokesperson within the Social Media industry
- Monitor the competition and be aware of market changes and developments
- Creative, diplomatic, cool under pressure and fantastic interpersonal and presenting skills
- Strong project management and organisational skills
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of social media and networking platforms and monitoring suite suppliers
- Deep knowledge of the Company’s industry and great contact book
- Experience of business and strategy development
- Ability to build and leverage a strong network of peers and partners
- P&L experience
Want more Online Community and Social Media job descriptions?
So there you have it – a generic entry level Social Media Director job description template. What do you think? Is there anything else you think is missing?
[photo by jurvetson]