Following on from my blog post about defining Online Community and Social Media job descriptions, here is a generic Head of Social Media job description template.
These job description templates are written with the assumption of a hierarchy of Manager, Head of Department, Director. If the role manages a team or includes strategic or budgetary control, responsibilities can be taken from each level job description to create a hybrid. I am also keen to split up Community Management and Social Media Management, which in my mind are two different types of roles. I have deliberately left out years of experience from the “Requirements” section as this is down to personal preference.
Head of Social Media
The Head of Social Media is responsible for overseeing the creation, management and development of the Company’s Social Media Strategy and Social Media team. This role coordinates with the internal Editorial, Marketing and PR teams to support their respective missions, ensuring consistency in voice and cultivating a social media referral network. The position involves creating and delivering engaging & successful social campaigns, as well as evangelising and promoting a social framework through training throughout the company.
- Maintain & update the social media strategy, coordinating with stakeholders across the Company to ensure its effectiveness and encouraging adoption of relevant social media techniques into the corporate culture and into all of the company’s products and services
- Coordinate with the Product development team to plan and develop the social media tools in use on the Company’s sites, as well as taking ownership for the social product roadmap planning
- Manage and support the Social Media Team, ensuring a superior quality of communication and project delivery
- Plan social media campaigns, ensuring customer acquisition and supporting monetization
- Develop and manage a program to effectively start and develop partnerships with identified high valued Company customers
- Assist the Sales team in strategising, defining and implementing social projects to meet commercial goals
- Act as the advocate of adoption of social media within the Company, influencing overall site and business strategies
- Develop analytics reports and collate data from Social Media staff reporting, presenting analysis of campaigns and trends to all departments
- Oversee the management of a Blogger outreach program and ensure the maintenance of an active brand ambassador network to spread the word about the Company
- Monitor trends in online community tools, trends and applications
- Monitor the competition and be aware of market changes and developments
- Creative, diplomatic, cool under pressure and fantastic interpersonal skills
- Strong project management or organisational skills
- Advanced knowledge and and understanding of social media platforms and their respective participants (Facebook, Digg, Youtube, Twitter, Flickr etc.) and how they can be deployed in different scenarios
- Knowledge of blogging ecosystem relevant to the Company’s field
- Experience leading projects to successful deployment
- Ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and verbal format to board level, and build and maintain relationships
- Team leader, with experience of managing potentially volatile situations
- Great technical understanding and can pick up new tools quickly
- Have a good knowledge of principles of SEO and PR
- Public relations, Marketing, Sales, Community Management experience, a plus
Want more Online Community and Social Media job descriptions?
So there you have it – a generic entry level Head of Social Media job description template. What do you think? Is there anything else you think is missing?
[photo by The_Labour_Party]