Following on from my blog post about defining Online Community and Social Media job descriptions, here is a generic Online Community Moderator job description template.
These job description templates are written with the assumption of a hierarchy of Manager, Head of Department, Director. If the role manages a team or includes strategic or budgetary control, responsibilities can be taken from each level job description to create a hybrid. I am also keen to split up Community Management and Social Media Management, which in my mind are two different types of roles. I have deliberately left out years of experience from the “Requirements” section as this is down to personal preference.
Online Community Moderator
The Online Community Moderator will implement the Company’s Online Community Moderation Strategy, monitoring and moderating user-generated content to ensure that the online community is maintained as a safe and fun environment. This role coordinates with the internal Community Management team to support its mission, ensuring a safe and legal community environment, promoting excellent customer service and helping to cultivate a strong community around the brand.
- Implement the online community moderation strategy, coordinating with stakeholders across the Company to ensure its effectiveness and providing superior quality of customer service and support to our community with the help of various communication tools
- Review and moderate all user-generated content and user profiles (either pre-, post- or reactive moderation) within forums, comments, images, videos and audio, liaising with the Legal and Community team where required
- Manage the banned user process, and track and remove previously banned users
- Maintain the Moderation Guidelines and ensure they are up to date
- Service Community Admin accounts, processing emails and complaints, escalating when necessary
- Moderate communities located in social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter, and other similar social media outposts, adapting methodology where appropriate
- Produce reports on relevant moderation statistics, issues and outcomes
- Monitor effective benchmarks for measuring moderation and UGC volume, and analyze, review, and report on effectiveness of moderation policy
- Regularly feed back insights gained from community moderation into the Community team
- Monitor all industry and company information and news to anticipate potential issues
- Great knowledge of online legal issues and cool under pressure
- Strong organisational and multitasking skills, and a proactive approach
- Working operational knowledge and understanding of online community platform moderation tools (Forums, Blogs, Photo Uploads, Commenting etc.)
- Knowledge of the Company’s industry and targeted demographic’s culture, as well as internet culture
- Ability to effectively communicate information and report statistics
- Team player, detail focused and reliable
- Good technical understanding and can pick up new tools quickly
- Have a good knowledge of principles of customer service
- Availability to work days, evening, nights, as well as weekends as and when required.
Want more Online Community and Social Media job descriptions?
So there you have it – a generic entry level Online Community Moderator job description template. What do you think? Is there anything else you think is missing?
[photo by matt hutchinson]