Following on from my blog post about defining Online Community and Social Media job descriptions, here is a generic Online Community Manager job description template.
These job description templates are written with the assumption of a hierarchy of Manager, Head of Department, Director. If the role manages a team or includes strategic or budgetary control, responsibilities can be taken from each level job description to create a hybrid. I am also keen to split up Community Management and Social Media Management, which in my mind are two different types of roles. I have deliberately left out years of experience from the “Requirements” section as this is down to personal preference.
Online Community manager
The Online Community Manager will implement the Company’s Online Community Strategy, managing engagement and interactivity with its audience, and fostering community spirit. This role coordinates with the internal Editorial and Marketing teams to support their respective missions, ensuring consistency in voice and cultivating a strong community around the brand.
- Implement the online community strategy, coordinating with stakeholders across the Company to ensure its effectiveness and providing superior quality of customer service and support to our community with the
help of various communication tools
- Work with the Product development team to ensure the community platform (for ex. forums, blogs, moderation tools) are kept up to date and functional, as well as influence the roadmap by collating user feedback
- Generate compelling editorial content and manage a schedule of webchats and competitions for the site communities to engage with, and lead them into contributing their own high quality submissions across the entire suite of tools available
- Moderate all User Generated Content according to the Moderation policy, liaising with the Legal team where required
- Manage communities located in social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter, and other similar social media outposts
- Act as an advocate of the Company in the brand’s community and as the advocate of the community within the Company, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate
- Ensuring return of lapsed readers through the judicious use of regular system mass emails and producing a regular community newsletters and editorial
- Manage a Volunteer Hosting program and build an active community leader network
- Monitor effective benchmarks for measuring the growth of the community, and analyze, review, and report on effectiveness of new initiatives
- Regularly feed back insights gained from community monitoring into the Marketing and Editorial teams, to help them evolve their strategies in a timely fashion
- Monitor trends in online community tools, trends and applications
- Creative, diplomatic, cool under pressure and fantastic interpersonal skills
- Strong project management or organisational skills
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of online community platforms and their respective participants (Forums, Blogs, Photo Uploads, Profiling etc.) and how they can be deployed in different scenarios
- Knowledge of the Company’s industry
- Ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and verbal format, and build and maintain relationships
- Team player, with the confidence to take the lead and guide other departments when necessary
- Good technical understanding and can pick up new tools quickly
- Have a good knowledge of principles of customer service
- Editorial, Marketing, Customer Service experience, a plus
Want more Online Community and Social Media job descriptions?
So there you have it – a generic entry level Online Community Manager job description template. What do you think? Is there anything else you think is missing?
[photo by soapbear ]