Following on from my blog post about defining Online Community and Social Media job descriptions, here is a generic Online Community Director (or Chief Community Officer) job description template.
These job description templates are written with the assumption of a hierarchy of Manager, Head of Department, Director. If the role manages a team or includes strategic or budgetary control, responsibilities can be taken from each level job description to create a hybrid. I am also keen to split up Community Management and Social Media Management, which in my mind are two different types of roles. I have deliberately left out years of experience from the “Requirements” section as this is down to personal preference.
Online Community Director
The Online Community Director is responsible for overseeing the Company’s overall Social Engagement strategy, social platform and Communities team across all internal brands and platforms. This role coordinates with the internal PR, Editorial, Marketing, Legal and Production Directors and Board Members to support the Company’s mission. The position involves ensuring our social engagement is fully integrated with all other efforts across the Company’s portfolio, as well as managing the Central Community budget.
- Create the online community strategy, including the moderation policy, escalation and customer service procedures and community engagement and outreach initiatives, and ensure via regular monitoring that they are implemented effectively
- Own the roadmap budget for the community platform (for ex. forums, blogs, moderation tools), directing community product development
- Recruit and oversee the Community Team, ensuring a superior quality of service and support to our readers and staff is provided at all times
- Ensure a unified approach across the company in the continued growth of all community spaces across implemented social tools and the development of engaging editorial propositions
- Source and manage relationships with community tool partners to support and develop commercial opportunities
- Act as the advocate of a social and engagement approach within the Company, influencing overall business development strategies
- Provide benchmarks and analyse data provided by the Community Team, to inform company-wide decision-making and ensure targets are met
- Monitor and comment on trends in online community tools, trends and application, acting as company spokesperson within the Online Community industry
- Monitor the competition and be aware of market changes and developments
- Creative, diplomatic, cool under pressure and fantastic interpersonal and presenting skills
- Strong project management and organisational skills
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of online community platforms and their suppliers
- Deep knowledge of the Company’s industry and great contact book
- Experience of business and strategy development
- Ability to build and leverage a strong network of peers and partners
- P&L experience
Want more Online Community and Social Media job descriptions?
So there you have it – a generic entry level Online Community Director job description template. What do you think? Is there anything else you think is missing?
[photo by deltaMike]